Saturday, September 17, 2011

Obsession: exquisite tiny things

Little treasures: A pair of earrings, messages in bottles, sand from a Buddhist mandala, pearl and glass beads, a wooden match.
I'm not sure why, but I'm incredibly drawn to tiny things. Like scale models and miniatures. Maybe it's left over from a childhood love of doll houses. Or perhaps it's because I'm a small lady, and tiny things make me feel big. And of course, I admire the skill and care it takes to make something extra, extra small.



Here's a miniature my brother-in-law bought me in Germany. The photo doesn't really show how tiny the little veggies are. The potatoes on the cutting board are smaller than peas! And the knife is about a 1 mm wide and about 10 mm long. 


Anyway, my love of tiny things attracted me to these tiny corked vials and bottles at the Hobby Lobby. They're part of the Tim Holtz Findings product line. I love, love, love the Tim Holtz products. They're so industrial, and steampunk-y. I used his sprocket gears for my Steampunk Gift Machine post last December, remember?

I know, Jolie Colis is about fancy giftwrapping. But you don't always have to hide a gift to present it with style. Besides, a reusable gift container like this is incredibly green. Who would throw away such a precious, sweet thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment