Saturday, December 4, 2010

My 5 favorite papers: stylish bargains and splurges

I know I should be focused on buying holiday gifts, but I can't stay away from the many beautiful papers you can buy online this time of year. Some of you might be surprise to hear that a $6.50/sheet paper is a bargain. Compared to something that's $18/sheet, it is!

Anyway, here they are, in no particular order:

Bargain #1: White squares on silver, Papersource $4.95/sheet
I actually used this cool paper on a corporate job I had last year, and it held up great. The silver is really bright, and it has this nice weight and linen texture. I just wish I knew I could get it through Papersource. I bought it locally and paid almost twice that. Ugh.


Bargain #2: Paisley batik, Elum $3.75/sheet
Elum makes gorgeous letterpress stationery and chic giftwrap. A subtle pattern like this is beautiful with a wide ribbon in a deep chocolate brown or gold.





Bargain #3: #1741 Winterberry, Snow & Graham, $6.50/sheet
Like Elum, Snow & Graham makes incredibly cute letterpress and paper products. I love this one because it's wintry and evocative of the holidays, but it's not so literal (see Holiday Giftwrapping tip #4). It's pretty on its own, but would look sweet with a wide red ribbon.


Bargain #4: Joyeux noel, Cavallini, Luxe Paperie, $3.50/sheet
I'm a huge fan of Cavallini's charming, vintage-inspired paper products. In fact, I have several sheets of Cavallini paper waiting for frames to grace my home. It's hard to believe how this paper can be so affordable. You get gorgeous prints on really nice, heavy, textured paper. Almost too beautiful to cut!




Of course, I have to give Kate's Paperie a shoutout, since that's where I first discovered my love for paper and wrapping gifts. This is another incredible buy. I love the contrast and drama of this paper. This stuff is interesting because it's very thin, very sturdy, and feels like fabric.




Splurge #1: Handmade open geo, black, Kate's Paperie, $24.50/sheet 
So, so cool. I'd layer this on a contrasting color, or over a subtle pattern. It's so artful, I'd consider framing this, too. It reminds me of Jackson Pollock.








Splurge #2: Orange stitch on pink paper, Papersource, $9/sheet
Hooray for an affordable splurge! This paper comes from India, and is sewn with contrasting thread. The thread and little holes in the paper add graphic and textural interest, too.



Splurge #3: Personalized gift wrap, Neiman Marcus, $90 
This is a super-cute, super-splurge, and I'm not even sure how much you get for the $90. Maybe if you have to ask, you can't afford it. Various colors and patterns are available, and you can personalize it with your initials or a limited amount of text.





Splurge #4: Pine cones, Heidi, $21.99/set
Heidi sells stylish gift wrap sets in pre-coordinating colors and patterns. Very convenient. You get enough to wrap about 2 shirtboxes, complete with paper, ribbon, gift cards, and note cards. It's like the Garanimals of giftwrapping!





Splurge #5: Richard de Bas floral paper, Paper Arts, $18/sheet
I love this paper because it reminds me of pressing a flower in the pages of a book. And because I'm a total romantic. 




Well, that's all for now, friends. Tune in tomorrow; I'm finally going to post my video on how to make the monogrammed prezzie from last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment