Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Simple and thoughtful are always in style.

Greetings, friends.

I hope you had a lovely and restful holiday. And I hope you got lovely prezzies. I did! Here's my favorite - it was from my friend Grace, who is teaching me Korean.


Pretty, isn't it? I couldn't tell you exactly what it says, since I'm still learning. I was just in awe of this special gift. And I hadn't even opened it yet! Grace said the paper shows an ancient script of Korean used during the Chosun Dynasty. Of course, I hated opening it, because I was afraid of tearing the beautiful paper.

But I did. And here's what was inside!


Beautiful, aren't they? They're traditional patchwork magnets. The colors and design of these are very Korean, and the little knots or "yeonbong,"at the center of the "quilt" were used as buttons on classical Korean formalwear. Grace, the wife of a doctoral student here at the university, told me she bought this gift months before coming to the US, with the intention of giving it to a dear friend she'd make here. I was so moved by this small gift, and the care with which it was chosen and presented.

That's what fine giving is all about!

Happy 2010! I'll be back soon to discuss Valentines.

No comments:

Post a Comment